Saturday, June 28, 2008

these walls will talk...

Well, it's a wrap. The Dickson Gallery of Fine Art most certainly went out with a bang Friday night. The "Final Hurrah" extended way into the wee hours of the morning...and Jackson came out in force to show their support one final time.
The celebration of what the Dickson Gallery was all about went brilliantly. People streamed down Lafayette Street passing saxophone player Denny Anderson (who played wonderfully last night...again!) and right on into the gallery. There were tears, there were accolades, there was art that found new homes. The Jackson Sun came, WBBJ tv came, ....and on and on.
I can't put into words the emotions I feel right now regarding last night. But I am very pleased with how it all concluded.
Everyone had fun writing words of thanks and quotes of inspiration on the walls, windows and doors. The walls will certainly be talking for some time to come.
I can tell story after story of things said, questions asked, answers given, so much of it full of emotion and meaning.
One of the many highlights was when one of my artists, Pat Findley, presented me with a painting of the front of the Dickson Gallery (image above) complete with me in the window behind the counter. (and lots of hand written memories on the back of the frame) OMG! priceless. Thank you PAT!!
I was also presented with a plaque last night by one of my dearest friends with a photo of the Dickson Gallery on the left and the following quote by Eleanor Roosevelt on the right:
"I have never felt that anything really mattered but the satisfaction of knowing that you stood for the things in which you believed and had done the very best you could."
yes, yes, yes!
An evening full of memories...one that will live on in my heart for a very long time.
Thank you to those who were there...to share in this experience.

This morning, a crew of friends showed up bright and early with trucks and trailers in tow to help me move out of the building. Wow...it sure does echo in there now...the emptiness of this place I've called home for 3 years is quite overwhelming. But the walls are still talking...and in seeing the words and drawings there I feel the support of those who put their comments all around me.
The building the gallery occupied sits empty now. We certainly raised the bar high for who follows and We pass the torch.
onward for the arts.
Rachel

No comments: