So Sunday morning...I was with a friend in a local farming community and they say to me..."do you want to experience some local flavor?" And of course, I'm never one to turn down an adventure of any kind so naturally I replied, "Certainly."A few minutes later we pull off the road in front of a little locally owned convenience store...that barely looked opened. The sign on the front of the door cracked me up, "Sorry we're open, and now that you know, you have to come in". LOVED IT!!
I was the first through the door and the smell of grease nearly blew me over. There were 4 tables in the middle of the room, and 3 people were sitting around the table in the center. An older fella dressed in overalls, a middle-aged lady and another gentleman. Clearly by the looks on their faces...I interupted an important conversation...or at least their morning cigarette. Anyway, my friend followed me inside and informed me they could cook anything from the grill, so what did I want? I ordered an egg and cheese sandwich (which is one of my personal favorites). I immediately proceeded to the coffee maker and poured myself a cup of coffee. The pot was about 1/4 of the way full, so I wasn't too sure how this cup was gonna turn out. (You always take life into your own hands with "old coffee" at any gas station slash convenience store). I hadn't had any coffee yet at this point of the morning...so any coffee would be good. Actually, it really was pretty good...so enjoyed every sip of it while turning and taking in the full flavor of the place.
There was a small cd/stereo playing country music in the corner, a pool table to my left, and of course the usual snacks, beer and other food items scattered around. There were 3 photos on the wall by the front door that looked sort of historical and very much grabbed my attention. So I walked over to investigate them further. COOLEST PHOTOS I've seen in a LONG TIME! Turns out...they were photos of old horse-pulled wagons full of cotton lining the streets of downtown Dyersburg. I'd never seen photos of horse-drawn wagons full of cotton. I was standing smack in the middle of Cotton Farming country (in Dyer County, TN) so of course there'd be some memories of this way of living. This little convenience store provides just the service that these American farmers requires during a day's work. Food, cold drinks and a touch of local flavor.
My egg sandwich hit the spot too. Only needed to add a little mustard and it was just what I needed to help me on my way. I'm going to chaulk this up to another great adventure in the heart of everyday America.
One just never knows...keep your eyes open...you'd be surprised what you'll find.

1 comment:
Alright, I'm a sucker for an egg sandwich...where is this great little place?
Post a Comment