Thursday, April 26, 2007

Let's RECYCLE!!

A thought that's been on my mind for quite some time is that of recycling paper, aluminum, plastic, etc. I've found a place here in Jackson, TN where you can take soda cans to be recycled (I've received as much at $18.00 for one bunch of cans I took to be recycled).
Anyway, I've just found a place here in town we can take all paper products and plastics.
Check this out: Southeast Recycled Fiber
They're located off of Royal Street just East of the Railroad Depot. Click on the link above for directions. I called and spoke to them today, turns out they take all types of paper and plastic which can be dropped off to them Monday thru Friday from 7:30a until 4:00p. Cans can be taken to Hutcherson Metals off of East Chester Street.
DID YOU KNOW? Each ton of recycled newspaper saves 3.5 cubic yards of landfill space.

· Recycling aluminum cans saves 95% of the energy needed to produce new cans from raw materials

· For every 14,000 plastic bottles and jugs recycled, we save 5.65 cubic yards of landfill space

· Recycling steel (tin) cans saves 60 % of the energy needed to produce new cans from raw materials

We can change the world...one step at a time.
Happiness,
Rachel

1 comment:

Susan L. Prince said...

Jackson really needs to catch up in this department. I came from Iowa in 2000, and in the city I lived in, we had to recycle. We had a city provided container for plastics, one for glass, and get this...none of the trash or recycleables were to be taken out to the curb on collection day. The collectors would come up to the house where the recycled stuff was and the trash, and take it from there. It really kept the town looking good. In fact, if you did take trash to the curb, it was NOT collected! Marshalltown, IA really made it simple to recycle!